Who Can Test?

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) encourages all homeowners to test their residences for radon gas concentrations. The National Radon Program Services at Kansas State University (K-state) has radon test kits available for purchase by homeowners for personal use.

"Why are short-and long-term test kits used?"

Testing is the only way to know if you and your family are at risk from radon.  Testing for radon  is simple and takes only a few minutes of your time.  Radon test kits are placed in the lowest lived-in level of the home and left for a specified period of time.  After that time, the kit is sent to the laboratory for analysis.

If you decide to hire a qualified company to do a radon test or a qualified contractor to fix your home, you can find a list with the following organizations:

Alternatively, you can contact your state radon office or public health official.

To make sure you are getting a fair price:

  • Get multiple estimates from at least two contractors.
  • Compare the things they promise to do, as well as the prices.
  • Call their past customers to see if they were satisfied with the work.


After work is completed, either buy another do-it-yourself test kit or have a different company test the home to see if radon levels are below 4 pCi/L.

See also the EPA's Consumer's Guide to Radon Reduction for further guidance, including checklists of questions to ask your contractor and what to include in your contract.